CIEH Professional Trainer Certificate vs Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector

With all these different teacher training courses on offer we have decided to do a comparison of the two most popular ones on the market.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health CIEH Professional Trainer Certificate is what used to be called the CIEH Group Training Certificate and is designed people wishing to become CIEH registered tutors.  The PTLLS course (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector) is the successor to the City and Guilds 7302 and 7307 courses and is nationally recognised as the starting point for teachers of adults whatever their subject.

Here is our road-test :

CIEH Professional Trainer Certificate
Pros : An economical course,  gets you started as a food safety or health and safety instructor, can be done over three days so not so much time off work
Cons : not accredited by Ofqual or the QCA which are the government outfits regulating education, not so transferable to other areas

PTLLS Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector
Pros : nationally recognised by Ofqual or the QCA, can be used to teach just about any subject,  compulsory for some sectors e.g. SIA security courses, also you get 6 credits towards the CTLLS course and the degree level DTLLS Diploma qualification.
Cons : five days long – and work needed to complete assignments.

Verdict :
If you want to get started as a health and safety or food safety instructor straight away and are looking for the quickest and easiest route then think about going for the CIEH Professional Trainer Certificate.
If you want a more widely recognised qualification or for teaching in a variety of subjects/sectors and don’t mind the extra time and work (and cost) then the PTLLS (Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector) is for you.

Comments are closed.