How to get a personal licence to sell alcohol

If you want to sell alcohol from a pub, off-licence, restaurant, supermarket, bar or shop you will need to get a Personal Licence from your local council.  This should be the local council where you live NOT where you work.

To make an application for a personal licence you must:

1. Be over 18 years of age
2. Not have any relevant or foreign criminal convictions
3. Possess an approved licensing qualification such as the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders NCPLH (course cost £99)
4. Pay the required fee (normally £37.00) to the local licensing authority (your local council)

Most councils require you to provide a criminal background disclosure which costs approx £20

So to get your career as a licencee started you can expect to pay £156 (£99 course + £37 council application fee + £20 disclosure fee)

Comments are closed.