Licensing Laws for Public Houses

The main licensing law for public houses in England and Wales is the Licensing Act 2003

The key parts of this legislation are :

giving local councils power to issue licences to premises (rather than magistrates’ courts)
flexible opening hours – pubs no longer have to shut at 11pm
personal licences – those selling or authorising the sale of alcohol by retail must have a personal licence
premises licences – one type of licence covers all the six previous licensing regimes (for alcohol, public entertainment, cinemas, theatres, late night refreshment houses, and night cafes)
Temporary Event Notices – no personal licence or licenced premises needed to hold a temporary event where alcohol is sold

Comments are closed.