What sort of First Aid training does my company need ?

You’re probably aware that it is a requirement for all companies and organisations which employ people to have some sort of first aid arrangement in place, but it’s often hard to know exactly what you should be doing and what arrangements should be in place.

With a plethora of different first aid courses to choose from, differing needs between companies and a history of confusion around the subject you’ll be forgiven for thinking that sifting through the details is a job best left to somebody else.  However the reality is that making a decision regarding first aid training is an important step not only towards complying with the law, but also ensuring that you and your colleagues are given the right care should there be an accident or somebody collapses.

There are four main types of fist aid course to choose from :

Emergency First Aid at Work – this is a 1-day course and is the minimum HSE (Health and Safety Executive) recognised qualification.  Candidates not only gain the skills and confidence to handle an emergency, but they also get a qualification which proves their competence.  

First Aid at Work – this is a 3-day course.  Have you ever heard people talking about being a “qualified First Aider” ?  Well this is what they meant.  The yardstick amongst first aid courses, this is the course you should consider if you need substantial first aid provision, for example :
1. First Aiders in larger workplaces
2. Workplace first aid in higher-risk industries

Refresher First Aid at Work – being a first aider means you’ll need to keep up to date with best practice and the latest techniques.  All candidates who have taken the full 3-day First Aid at Work course will gain a certificate which is valid for three years. This is the course to re-qualify and is open to anybody with a valid First Aid at Work certificate.

Paediatric First Aid – if your work involves looking after young children you had better consider this 2-day course.  Whereas the other first aid courses mentioned come under the remit of the HSE, this one is designed to comply with the Department for Education’s Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) requirements.  As such it is Ofsted who are increasingly taking on the inspecting role, and this qualification will help you keep your inspector happy and also gives you the skills needed to deal with the youngest members of society.  It’s suitable for anybody involved with nurseries, child minding, and children’s centres.


Comments are closed.