Archive for the ‘Food Safety’ Category

Does Mr Whippy need to be registered?

Tuesday, March 24th, 2009

Yes, he does !

Ice cream van operators need to register as a food business with the local authority.  This does not cost any money as there is no fee.  If you are operating an ice cream van you should register at the address where you are operating from – your garage or office location, even if you are selling ice cream elsewhere.


Who inspects us for food safety ?

Monday, March 23rd, 2009

It is usually the local authority who are in charge of inspecting premises for food safety issues.  They have members of staff called Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) who go round inspecting and giving advice on food safety to all food outfits.  This includes places where food is prepared or served even if this is not your main activity so not just cafes and restaurants but also school meals, works canteens, hotels, day centres and coffee bars.