• On Site Training

On-site Training Courses

Our in house training means that we come to your workplace to provide high quality courses for your staff on your own premises.

Read More

Read our Blog
Follow us on twitter
Follow us on facebook

Instructor Training FAQs


What is the difference between the Awarding Bodies (or Awarding organisations) for training?

Awarding Bodies are approved to offer accredited qualifications by Ofqual (SQA in Scotland or Qualification Wales). The Awarding Bodies approve training companies, colleges and workplaces to deliver courses and carry out the assessments by which students are measured.

The main difference between Awarding Bodies will be in their provenance (their history and background) in developing these qualifications, the practical help they provide during the learning process and their experience in the specific subject matter of the course. Use this link to find out whether an Awarding Body is recognised.

What is a PGCE?

Traditionally, people who want to teach in schools have taken a degree course in a subject of their choice and then gone to teacher training college after graduating. A successful year’s study at a teacher training college or University leads to a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) qualification.

What is QTS?

Anybody who has a PGCE and gained the appropriate on the job experience can apply for QTS (Qualified Teacher Status). This makes it possible to teach in schools in England and Wales.

What is QTLS?

QTLS = Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills. This is a professional status allowing the holder to teach in schools and adult education. Everybody who holds QTLS status is entitled to use the initials after their name. this professional status is awarded by the Society for Education and Training.
A popular route to gaining QTLS is by via the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DET).

Why choose DET and QTLS?

Taking the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training course and using this as your route to gain QTLS is a modern, efficient route to starting your teaching career. The course runs part-time and this is normally one day per week which can be combined with your existing job, so financially this makes it a much more attractive option that the PGCE route which is normally full-time.

What new opportunities does QTLS offer?

With QTLS status you can teach in both primary and secondary schools. Local councils or individual schools you apply to will work out which subjects you are best suited to teach. There is a great deal of demand for teachers in schools, many of which are struggling to provide enough classroom hours for their pupils, so with QTLS you will find it much easier to find a job in the area where you want to live with a satisfactory rate of pay.

What would QTLS mean for your career?

QTLS status makes it clear that you are a professional educator or trainer. It makes a good impression on potential employers anywhere in the sector and highlights your skills, knowledge and commitment to what you do.

My PTTLS is a level 4 qualification - how does the new Level 4 CET qualification relate to my PTTLS qualification?

The Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (CET) is a more indepth course that the PTLLS you have already achieved. It is intended as a course for people currently teaching or training adults, and is often considered an “in service” qualification which forms part of your CPD. Where PTLLS introduced you to teaching and gave you a basic grounding in the skills needed, CET builds on this and enables you to enhance and improve your existing skills as well as gain more in depth knowledge and understanding of current best practice. You’ll also end up with a qualification that gives you proof of your ability to plan and teach good quality lessons, PTLLS introduced you to this with the micro-teaching assignment, CET takes this further as you will be observed and assessed carrying out real teaching with your own candidates. Consider PTLLS (or AET as it is now known) as the start and CET as the next logical development.

Level 3 Award in Education and Training - how does it differ from Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (PTLLS)?

The Award in Education and Training is a new qualification in teaching which has replaced the PTLLS qualification. It came to life as a result of the Final Report of the Independent Review lead by Robert Lingfield. The aim of the report was to implement changes into quality and standard of Further Education and Skills teaching qualification.

The main difference between Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong learning Sector and Level 3 Award in Education and Training lies in the number of units which students need to complete in order to get qualified. The nature of both qualifications, however, is the same and includes topics such as: understanding of roles and responsibilities of a teacher, principles of assessment and inclusive learning.

Are there any entry requirements for this qualification?

No, there are not any formal entry requirements for this qualification. You do not have to have any previous teaching experience. You should, however, be able to demonstrate knowledge of the subject your are going to teach, this could be via a qualification or your existing experience. A good command of written and spoken English will be needed in order to read, write and understand the tasks on the course which you'll need to complete in order to qualify.

Is recognition of prior learning allowed for this new qualification?

Yes, learners' previous qualifications and experience can contribute to this qualification. So if you already have a recent qualification in adult education get in touch with our team to discuss.

How many credits do I need to achieve in order to complete the Level 3 Award in Education and Training?

In order to accomplish this new qualification you need to achieve a minimum of 12 credits. These credits are recognised by Ofqual and appear on the QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework), so once you have gained them they are yours for life.

Do I need to write any assignment in order to achieve the award?

Yes, there are three written assignments which you will have to complete and submit. All required information and content will be taught to you on the course so by the end of it you will be ready to write your assignments. Our team of education experts will guide you through exactly what is needed.

Do I need to do any teaching?

Yes, candidates on Level 3 Award in Education and Training need to prepare a short lesson on a chosen subject which they will deliver to their classmates on the course. This is called "micro teaching" and forms one of the vital assignments you'll need to complete to gain your qualification. Your tutor will guide you through exactly what you need to do to prepare and teach this lesson.

How much time do I have to complete the assignments after the course?

The assignments should be submitted within 30 days from the last day of the course.

If I require any extra support, will I get it?

Yes ! Our teachers, at Carlton Training are always keen to provide students with extra support and help when needed. They meet personal preferences of candidates and help them succeed and achieve the qualification. This could be a quick telephone chat about what you need to do or a one-to-one session where your tutor guides you individually.

Is this course relevant to my subject and my work place?

It is a generic course which suits all people who want to teach and train adults in many organisations such as companies, training centres, colleges and other work places. The course aims to give you the skills and knowledge to go out and teach in your subject area.

What is the next level up from this?

Level 3 Award in Education and Training creates opportunities for candidates to progress to the Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training (CTLLS) and the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (DTLLS).

Do I need this course ?

The normal entry route is via the Level 3 Award in Education and Training
Check with your employer. If you are an employer or self-employed, check with the awarding body/exam board you are working with.

I already have a teaching qualification. Do I need a new one?

You might not need a new qualification. Full details of the "Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills" schemes can be found here QTLS

I want to teach SIA recognised courses such as Door Supervisors, Security Guards or Close Protection Officers.  Which qualifications do I need ?

All new trainers for these courses must achieve PTLLS Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector and 2886 Certificate for Deliverers of Conflict Management Training or equivalent. See our Combined Course to get both of these together.

Who is the Level 3 Award for Physical Intervention Trainers in the Private Security Industry for?

This Level 3 Award is for trainers and teachers in the security industry and those who wishes to train other students how to effectively use physical intervention skills. This includes trainers of the new SIA Door Supervisor awards

What qualification is obtained from this physical intervention training course?

Level 3 Award for Physical Intervention Trainers in the Private Security Industry is awarded to all successful candidates. 

Why do I need this physical intervention qualification?

You will need this award if you wish to teach Physical Intervention Training in the Private Security Industry as part of the SIA licence to practice scheme. This Master Trainer award completes the requirements of the Awarding Bodies and SIA

What standards does this physical intervention qualification conform to?

Your Level 3 Award for Deliverers of Physical Intervention Training in the Private Security Industry complies with the specifications laid down by SIA and the awarding body.

How long will it take to complete the physical intervention training course?

Level 3 Award for Deliverers of Physical Intervention Training in the Private Security Industry course is completed in three or four days.

Does Carlton Training offer the physical intervention training course?

Yes, Carlton Training offers this Physical Intervention trainers course at our physical training centre in London

Will candidates get individual attention from physical intervention tutors on this course?

Yes, our small class sizes allow quality tuition during the physical intervention training course and enable our instructors to give candidates the attention needed.

Can students get injured during physical intervention training?

The physical intervention course does not involve techniques such as striking or pushing.  The safe practice of these skills will be supervised by the physical intervention trainer at all times.  Risk assessment is part of the course requirements.

What are the entry requirements for the Level 3 Award for Deliverers of Physical Intervention Training course?

To enrol on this course you will need :

PTLLS Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector – or equivalentand 2886Conflict Management Trainers Certificate - or equivalent

Students must have the physical ability to complete the course.


Call us on 0845 299 4049 to find out more.


Secure Payment