Through online learning and self-study, the principles and theories of education and training will be taught to you. You’ll also benefit from the opportunity to use these new principles.
You’ll be able to:
- Develop research skills in education and training
- In the education and training sectors, you’ll gain experience investigating polices and professionalism
- As a teacher and trainer, you’ll research your role and potential
- Within an educational environment, you’ll contribute to quality improvement
- In your existing role, you’ll help to develop quality teaching and learning
- You’ll demonstrate inclusive teaching and learning in professional practice
We cover four main units of content below. (If you’ve already got the CTLLS or CET qualifications, only three of these are mandatory):
- Research teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Develop teaching, learning and assessment in education and training
- Compare theories, principles and models in education and training
- Learn about wider professional practice and development in education and training
With guidance and teaching from our team of expert teacher-trainers, who are all lifelong educationalists, you’ll also complete a minimum of two optional units to finalise your work.
After successfully completing this course, you’ll be awarded the Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training (RQF). You’ll have the expertise to implement theories and current best practice. You’ll take a practical and analytical approach to all aspects of training and education. By passing the assessments you’ll demonstrate your ability to transfer knowledge into teaching practice.
By completing this course, you will be able to:
- Conduct research into education and training
- Carry out research into education and training
- Investigate policies and professionalism in the education and training sectors
- Research your own role and potential as a teacher and trainer
- Add to the quality improvement within your organisation, school, college or training centre
- Contribute to the development of quality assurance within your teaching practice
- Practice the theories and principles of inclusive teaching and learning
The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training holds the same value as a Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) in the education sector. This means that once you complete this course, you will be able to move on to gain your Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills Status (QTLS) with the Society for Learning/Education and Training Foundation.
Who is the course for?
This is the ideal course for you, if you’re currently teaching and are looking to achieve the status of a qualified teacher via QTLS for working in schools, colleges, adult education or workplace training.
Course entry requirements
To meet the enrolment criteria for this course, you’ll need to have literacy and IT skills to carry out the research required to qualify. You do not need to have a degree. You should have have qualifications or experience in your subject area, and either a colleague or volunteer should act as your mentor who must have a teaching qualification at Level 5 or above. There is also the requirement that you complete at least 100 hours of logged teaching which can be done during or after the course.
How is the course assessed?
You’ll be assessed throughout the course, and you’ll be required to complete various assignments. There is no written exam. Assessments include both theoretical and practical exercises such as being monitored teaching your own pupils or candidates. You’ll also work closely with one of our tutors who’ll provide advice and support. This tutor will guide you towards achieving your qualification by assessing your work and proving support, feedback and advice.